Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Work in Progress

Finally, a posting that's not about Reed! I'm really excited and I don't even know where to begin...As you may or may not know, I used to be pretty crafty person back in the day. I found it relaxing to put aside work, school, day-to-day stress and just create something pretty. The past few years, I have done very little and I've really felt like there's been a void in my life. The main problem is I haven't had anywhere to put all my "stuff". For me to get creative usually requires some sort of mess, and I haven't wanted to make a mess and then have to clean it all up a few hours later so we can eat dinner at the table, or whatever. Well, these past few weeks we've been organizing the house and we made a crafty area down in the basement. I'm still working on making it a happy, inspiring little corner instead of feeling like I have to go down to the dungeon to sew, but it's progress and I'm anxious to see if I still have the creative bug in me years of putting it aside.



Anyway, that's not all! I don't know how many of you have heard of the website Etsy.com, but I LOVE it. It's basically an online store thtat just sells handmade and vintage items - my favorite things! There are tons of really cute things and it takes a lot of self-restraint to not go crazy and spend a fortune on amazing and unique items that people make. I've dabbled in many creative areas here and there, and people have encouraged me to sell what I've made, but I never knew how to go about it and was never motivated to find a way. Well, Brent losing his job (and the video I posted a few weeks ago) was just the motivation I needed to dust off the right side of my brain and start having fun making things again. So I've been working, and am continuing to work, on setting up my very own Etsy shop! I'm still in the process of photographing everything and writing up descriptions, store policies, etc. and getting it all set up. I'm sure it will take awhile to work out the kinks and get it just the way I want it with a logo and everything, but I got some beaded eggs up in time for Easter today and will start on jewelrey and baby things next. I'm really excited to take the things that I've made and hopefully make a little bit of money. Not that I'm expecting this to be a booming home buiness, but I can use the materials that I already have, and if nothing else, it's an excuse to get creative, relax and de-stress!

I've really appreciated Brent's encouragement and support these past few weeks. He's been moving furniture around and watching Reed and putting up with a mess (I've been sewing cloth diapers, but that's another story...) while I get things done. Don't worry, he gets plenty of interviews and job-hunting in there too. ;o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Caroline! Just reading your posting makes me excited for you. It sounds like the perfect thing for you to be doing with your "dusty" talents. And it will bring you more satisfication, fun and happiness, too. And as the saying goes, if Momma's happy, everyone is happy! :-)

Allyson said...

I am so glad you are crafting again! It is good to have a place of your own - and the basement sounds fun. I am glad you have found Etsy, a girl at work introduced me to it months ago and I am totally stuck on it. I am also glad to see that you are a "Pioneer Woman" fan, I love her sooooo much, I want to steal her life.

Paul and Susan's NY Historic Sites Mission said...

Can I come shop when I am there? :) I need me some BO stuff.