Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pinspiration

Another post that for some reason never got published (wrote it last winter!).  I think I was trying to wait to take pictures of a few more projects (Norah's mobile is really fun) and editing it to be perfect but forget it.  Here it is...

This last year I discovered Pinterest and IT. IS. DANGEROUS!  As many of you may have noticed I don't facebook, twitter or spend really any time on the computer (hello, neglected blog!) so it's not too dangerous as far as wasting time ( I do it after Reed is asleep and I'm waiting for Brent to get home - he works 'til 11 P.M. these days!).  It is the perfect stress relief to scroll through the pictures of pretty things, good ideas, yummy food, etc.

I kept pinning away and saving all these fun things and decided I should do something with this collection of pictures to "make it worth my time". Yeah, right, but it makes me feel like all the pinning isn't such a huge waste of time. ;)
First up was a Potterybarn knock-off Valentine envelope...


It was fun and easy.  I stuffed it full of goodies for Valentine's last year. .

Next up, a campaign dresser:

 Our neighbors were moving and she was getting rid of this old dresser with a broken drawer but it had campaign hardware that I had seen and loved on Pinterest so I took and hoped we could fix the drawer but at least I could salvage the hardware. Well, the drawer was fixable and I polished up the brass (using a tutorial I found on Pinterest) and painted it blue (as seen on Pinterest).  Score!
Before, sort of - all disassembled, but you get the picture...


Midway through polishing the hardware - from tarnished to shiny!


After, it's not as bright in real life as it is in this picture.  It looks just like the picture I pinned up above.

Jet packs out of soda bottles? I can do that!


I made Reed some awesome (if I do say so myself!) jetpacks out of felt and water bottles.  He loves them and they were made from things we already had - free!  I love his little hands poised for speed in this picture.  :)

"New" crayons out of old, broken crayons.


 Reed and Brent chopped up lots of old crayons and we put them into molds and gave them as part of his little friend gift at Christmas time.  Easy, and free!  But really messy and lots of work.  We made like 60 crayons in all different shapes so I saved some for party favors and Valentine's (like the picture above) so I don't plan on ever having to do this project again.
 

Peg dolls

Reed is really into super heroes but I refuse to by all the marketed toys.  Brent actually did this one and painted his 4 favorites.  We gave them to him for his birthday and he plays with them almost daily.
 
 
Plain hoodie, turned into a fun dino/dragon sweatshirt.


Reed got a plain black hoodie handed down from his cousin that was perfect for this project.  A little time and felt and voila!


 Ruffled petal wreath tutorial seen on Pinterest:


My version:

Um, the picture won't load but it looks like this, only with burgandy felt
 
I've also hung some gallery walls up (finally hanging things on the walls after 5 years in our house!), found fun artwork and cooked yummy food off of Pinterest.  I love it.

1 comment:

The Larson's said...

I LOVE my new burgundy wreath! It is gorgeous with my other accents in that color. I've hung it both outside and in with no problems. Thank you for being so clever and creative. I'm in awe.